The holidays don’t mean you have to gain weight! Try these 7 tips to help you avoid weight gain while enjoying your favorite holiday festivities.
1. Don’t give up on keeping a journal! Whether you are trying to lose weight or maintain your weight this holiday season, keeping a detailed journal of your food intake is crucial. By being aware of what you are eating, you’re more likely to stay on track with your goals, and your journal is one of MWLC’s best tools to help you meal plan and achieve success.
2. Listen to your breathing! When you sigh or begin to breathe more deeply, your body is telling you it has had enough to eat. Listen to the cues your body gives you and let it be a guide to help you determine when you’ve had enough to eat.
3. Limit alcohol! Even the smallest amount of alcohol (for example, wine, beer, and liquor) can directly affect our fat metabolism. Some studies have even shown that our body can burn around 73% less fat after consuming just one ounce of alcohol!
4. Pay attention to portion control! Put a small portion on your plate, eat it slowly and savor it. While you fill your plate, focus on seeing the plate and not over-piling the food.
5. If you feel like you must eat foods off of your meal plan, rate all holiday foods from 1 to 10, ten being your favorite. Eat only your 9s or 10s, leaving out foods you do not rate highly.
6. Don’t deprive yourself! Do not stay home – go, have fun and socialize. Planning ahead will help make you successful and you will still be able to enjoy yourself.
7. Have a plan! Arrive at holiday parties and gatherings knowing what you will eat and prepare accordingly. Bring a dish to pass that you can enjoy and still stick to your meal plan.