Interested in learning how to preserve fresh fruit for future use? Follow these steps to freeze your fresh fruit with ease!
- WHAT YOU NEED
- Ripe fruit
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Freezer bags or containers
Wash and dry your fruit by rinsing under cool, running water. Lay the fruit in a single layer on a clean, dry dish towel and allow the fruit to dry. The layer of fruit will need to be completely dry prior to freezing or it will quickly develop freezer burn.
- SLICE THE FRUIT
Prepare or slice the fruit the way you expect to be using it. Cut it into chunks or wedges if you will be using the fruit in a pie. A rough chop works well if you will be blending it into smoothies. Remove the pits or any seeds/core from apples, pears, peaches or nectarines then cut them into slices or chunks. For melons, remove the rinds and chop into chunks. Berries can be left whole.
- ARRANGE THE FRUIT IN A SINGLE LAYER ON A PARCHMENT PAPER LINED BAKING SHEET
It’s OK if the fruit touches slightly, but avoid layering or overlapping the fruit. This allows the fruit to freeze individually, making it easier to store and, eventually, use.
- FREEZE UNTIL FRUIT IS SOLID
You can leave the fruit overnight, but package within a day or two or they will start to develop freezer burn. It should take approximately 4 hours to freeze fruit to a solid.
- LABEL THE CONTENTS
Jot down the date, type of fruit and the amount inside the bag or container. This makes it easier to find the fruit you want so you can pull out the specific quantity you need.
- ONCE THE FRUITS HAVE FROZEN SOLID, PACK THEM INTO FREEZER CONTAINERS
Lift the edges of the parchment to dislodge sticky fruit and use a spatula to transfer the fruits to the freezer bag or container. Handle the fruit as little as possible to prevent quick thawing and seal tightly. Press out as much air as possible and return the fruit to the freezer.
- GRAB WHENEVER THE MOOD STRIKES
Fruit keeps for several months — at least 3 months and sometimes longer — before starting to develop ice crystals and freezer burn. There is usually no need to thaw the fruit before using it.
The American Institute for Cancer Research estimates that 33% of breast cancers in the U.S. never have to happen. Call MWLC today to learn how to achieve and maintain a healthy weight!
Grating the outer peel of lemons, limes, oranges, and grapefruits releases highly concentrated flavors that reside in the oils of the fruit’s skin. A little zest goes a long way towards punching up salads, stews, grilled meat, and beverages. The zest can also provide a beautiful garnish to any drink or dish. This Real Simple video shows how to zest citrus fruit like a pro.
Wash fruit in soap and water
Wash and dry your citrus fruits thoroughly to remove the wax coating. If you plan on using the juice and zest in a recipe, you will want to zest first. Zesting little lemon wedges is no fun!
Choose the right grater
A Microplane is an ideal tool, because its fine holes zest only the peel, not the bitter white membrane beneath. If you don’t have a Microplane, the fine side of a box grater or a vegetable peeler are good alternatives.
Glide the fruit across the plane
Hold the handle of the Microplane or box grater in one hand and hold the fruit in the other. Glide the fruit down the grater from top to bottom, pressing hard enough that you take off the outermost layer of skin. Repeat, rotating the fruit in your hand as you go so that you only grate each section of peel once.
Grate lemon from end to end
Glide the blade of a vegetable peeler over the fruit with enough pressure to remove long strips of the outermost layer of colorful skin, avoiding the bitter white pith.
Tip: Strips of zest can be cut into thinner pieces or finely diced with a small knife.
Learn more about ProTeen, Medical Weight Loss Clinic’s program designed to how to make healthy food choices.
Tracy joined Bob & Mary from Fox 47’s The Morning Blend to discuss how families can work together to to set children up for a lifetime of healthy decision making starting within the kitchen. For recipes, visit www.mwlc.com/recipes
Did you know that home cooked meals contain 60 percent less calories than the average restaurant meal, which can typically cost $9 to $25 per person? That adds up to more than $200 per week for an average family. Your waist line and pocket book will thank you for choosing to cook at home instead of dining out or convenience foods.
Improves Family Dynamics
- Initiates Conversation. Everyone could use a break from screen time. Cooking and eating at home provides a better opportunity to have meaningful face-to-face conversations with your loved ones in a less distracting environment.
- Learning Opportunity. Time in the kitchen with your toddlers is a great opportunity for them to explore their senses. Touching, tasting, smelling while helping you prepare can help foster healthy eating habits and practice food safety.
Encourages Healthier Habits
- Healthier Portions. While dining out, servings are normally two to four times larger than recommended. At home, you have the power to control your portions and weigh or measure your ingredients.
- Healthier Prep. Cooking at home can eliminate the temptation of making poor food choices that may be high in sugar, fat and sodium. Eating in can also appease picky eaters or those with dietary restrictions.
Supports Healthier Futures
- Better Grades. A Columbia University study found that adolescents who enjoy between five and seven family dinners per week were twice as likely to see mostly A’s and B’s on their school report cards, compared to those teens who have fewer than three family dinners together per week.
- Improves Mental Health. Facilitating conversations during meal times can help families increase their bonds, having a significant positive impact on children. Time Magazine reports that teens who eat with their family at home often show fewer signs of depression and feel more supported than those who do not.
Nearly 1 in 3 Michigan children are overweight or obese. Choosing convenience foods and sugar filled beverages over healthier options has become the ‘norm’ in many diets of Americans spanning all ages.
In addition to making poor food choices, serving sizes are increasingly exceeding what the body actually needs. Implementing healthier habits earlier in life can ensure your child’s body is functioning properly while lowering risk of chronic conditions, and they are also more likely to make better choices as they get older.
Ensuring a Healthy Future
- Be a role model. Cooking meals at home encourages your loved ones to make smarter choices on their own and also is a great way to dive into healthier choices.
- Limit screen time. Signing up for a sport, playing outside or finding other creative ways to play and move around the house can stimulate young brains, endorsing healthier habits. Ensuring children get a break from phones, tablets or video games can positively impact their physical and mental well-being.
- Stop the Pop. Taste buds crave higher amounts of sugar, perpetuating an addictive sugar craving over time when children are allowed to indulge in sugary beverages on a regular basis.
- Bones. Diets that include nutrient rich foods strengthen bone density and promote growth.
- Brains. A balanced nutritional diet helps young brains grow and function. A deficiency of glucose, vitamins, minerals and proteins can lead to a higher risk of mental disorders.
- Muscles. Well rounded nutrition also plays an important role in maintaining muscle function and skeletal development.
Lower Risk of Chronic Conditions
- Ensuring your child’s nutritional health helps to avoid serious issues later in life. Including chronic conditions such as: obesity, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, high cholesterol, osteoporosis, depression and eating disorders. Call Medical Weight Loss Clinic today – with over 30 years experience and over 30 locations to serve you, we can help you and your child’s nutritional health stay on track!
How do you like your eggs? Check out this ‘Egg Doneness Guide’ to determine the perfect cook time when boiling eggs.
Once you’ve got your eggs cooked to perfection, try whipping up one of these recipes!
1 serving Hard Boiled Egg
1 serving Plain Non-Fat Yogurt
1-2 servings Mustard
Sweetener to taste
Paprika to taste
Separate the egg yolk and egg whites. Blend egg yolks with the yogurt, mustard and sweetener. Fill egg whites with yolk mixture. Sprinkle tops of eggs with paprika to taste.
Dill Yogurt and Egg Salad
4 Hard Boiled Eggs, shells removed
1 serving Plain, Low-Fat Yogurt
Fresh Dill, chopped
1/2 tsp. Ground Mustard
1/4 tsp. Garlic Powder
Fresh Ground Black Pepper, to taste
1 serving Diet Snack Crackers, for dipping
In a bowl, use a fork to smash up the eggs. Add yogurt, dill, mustard, spices and combine mixture. Add spoonfuls to snack crackers. Top with fresh black pepper and fresh dill.
Interested in more healthy egg recipes? Visit www.mwlc.com and click on the “Recipes” tab!
Medical Weight Loss Clinic’s Nutritional Supplements are an important part of our meal plans. They provide lean protein to help stimulate your metabolism for a faster, more consistent weight loss. Incorporating these products into your weight loss program will increase your weight loss efficiency by up to 30%.
Our Nutritional Supplements also prevent hair loss and nail breakage while you’re losing weight, and help to enhance your skin elasticity so you’ll look as great as you feel! Available in a wide variety of flavors, our Nutritional Supplements will also provide delicious variety to your food plan!
Learn how to lose weight without feeling deprived! Check out our Recipes page to see all the delicious ways you can prepare our Nutritional Supplements!
For MWLC Recipes, visit http://patients.mwlc.com/Recipe
Introducing TrimXCEL for appetite control!
This NEW formula is a unique and proprietary blend, developed by Medical Weight Loss Clinic using 5 ingredients that have been shown to reduce appetite and promote weight loss.
TrimXCEL promotes a feeling of fullness, and increases serotonin to reduce appetite and improve mood and happiness! This special formula will also help you convert food into energy and enhance your fat and carbohydrate metabolism.
Learn today how TrimXCEL can make your Medical Weight Loss Clinic program the last weight loss plan you’ll ever need!
Book a Consultation TODAY! https://patients.mwlc.com/Book_Your_Consultation.php