Chef Bobby and Tracy Strieter made a tasty vegetarian and vegan friendly Wild Rice and Cabbage recipe featured on WJBK Fox2’s Meatless Monday segment. A great recipe for March, it’s low in fat and sodium but packed with flavor from onions, garlic, ginger, cilantro and peppers!
Wild Rice and Cabbage
Recipe approved for all Freedom Plans and Fast Track 2.0
• ¼ cup Wild Rice, prepared
• ¼ medium Onion, diced
• ¼ medium Poblano Pepper, seeded and fire roasted
• 3 cloves Garlic, minced
• ½ Tbs. fresh Ginger, grated
• 1 cup Cabbage, chopped
• 3 Green Onions (white and green parts), thinly sliced
• 1 ½ Tbs. Cilantro, chopped
• ¼ red chili pepper, fire roasted and crushed
• Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
Heat a large skillet over low to medium heat. Add the onion and poblano pepper, sautéing using unflavored non-stick spray for 10 minutes or until tender. If needed, add 1 Tbs. of water at a time to help prevent sticking to the pan. Add the garlic and ginger, cooking for another minute. Add the chopped cabbage and cook until tender (about 10 minutes). Add the green onion and cilantro. Season with freshly ground black pepper and continue to cook for another minute. Remove from heat, add the cooked wild rice. Mix well and serve.