Nearly 1 in 3 Michigan children are overweight or obese. Choosing convenience foods and sugar filled beverages over healthier options has become the ‘norm’ in many diets of Americans spanning all ages. In addition to making poor food choices, serving sizes are increasingly exceeding what the body actually needs. Implementing healthier habits earlier in life can ensure your child’s body is functioning properly while lowering risk of chronic conditions, and they are also more likely to make better choices as they get older.
Ensuring a Healthy Future
- Be a role model. Cooking meals at home encourages your loved ones to make smarter choices on their own and also is a great way to dive into healthier choices.
- Limit screen time. Signing up for a sport, playing outside or finding other creative ways to play and move around the house can stimulate young brains, endorsing healthier habits. Ensuring children get a break from phones, tablets or video games can positively impact their physical and mental well-being.
- Stop the Pop. Taste buds crave higher amounts of sugar, perpetuating an addictive sugar craving over time when children are allowed to indulge in sugary beverages on a regular basis.
- Bones. Diets that include nutrient rich foods strengthen bone density and promote growth.
- Brains. A balanced nutritional diet helps young brains grow and function. A deficiency of glucose, vitamins, minerals and proteins can lead to a higher risk of mental disorders.
- Muscles. Well rounded nutrition also plays an important role in maintaining muscle function and skeletal development.
Lower Risk of Chronic Conditions
- Ensuring your child’s nutritional health helps to avoid serious issues later in life. Including chronic conditions such as: obesity, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, high cholesterol, osteoporosis, depression and eating disorders. Call Medical Weight Loss Clinic today - with over 30 years experience and over 30 locations to serve you, we can help you and your child's nutritional health stay on track!