Updated: 8/2/18 Want to know 5 great reasons to shop at your local farmer's market? Look no further!
- Freshly picked, in season produce is at its peak in flavor and nutrition. Fresh fruit and vegetables are chock full of antioxidants and phytonutrients. Your local farmer’s market should be able to provide a guide so you can easily learn what fruits and vegetables are in season.
- Supporting your local farmer’s market strengthens your community and economy. Meet your local farmers; learn about foods grown in your area and catch up with friends and neighbors in your community while stocking up on fresh local goods.
- It’s a great activity for the family. Visit different booths with your kids and select a variety of seasonal fruits and vegetables, local dairy or protein. Helping in the menu planning can often mean kids will be more likely to eat the healthy meal prepared!
- You can try a new fruit or vegetable! Many farmers’ markets offer lesser known fruits and vegetables, providing a variety that can be both tasty and nutritious.
- Farmer’s often have recommendations for preparing their goods. They can help you learn how to select and store rare and common fruits and vegetables.
What is your favorite farmer’s market and why?