The holidays can be an extremely stressful time for people because there is an expectation that you have to be happy and enjoy every minute of it. For many, that is not realistic. A healthy lifestyle with balanced nutrition and exercise can create a solid foundation that can help you bounce back faster when stress occurs - not just through the holidays but on an ongoing basis. Here are 5 holiday health tips.
1. Sleep Seven to nine hours of sleep is recommended so set an alarm in the evening to allow yourself time to clear your mind and get ready for a night of quality sleep. It is easier to handle stress and manage emotions when you are well rested.
2. Silence Many times, stress is not in the present. It can linger in the past or in our thoughts of the future. Practice slowing down your train of thought, take deep breaths and enjoy being the moment.
3. Sweat Proven to be effective against anxiety and depression, exercising or any kind of movement is a great way to get those endorphins going for positive emotional and physical health.
4. Success It’s rewarding to set a personal goal and achieve it. Make it a realistic goal such as an eating habit, watching less TV or walking more – then work towards it!
5. Social Connectedness is an innate need that we all have. Make time for it and surround yourself with people that value and support you.