The month between Thanksgiving and Christmas can be a challenge when it comes to sticking to a diet. With this time period being filled with parties, alcohol, and food, here's some tips to help you survive the holidays! 1. Think and plan ahead. Use a large calendar to record events that will be challenging for you. Schedule rewards for yourself that will enhance your enjoyment for the holidays. (Examples: Manicures, Pedicures, Clothing, Jewelry, Massages, etc.)… No Food!
2. When you do have a party to attend, go there KNOWING what you plan to do about eating (don’t stay home instead of going!)
3. If you are going to a dinner party, ask what is being served (if possible) and plan accordingly.
4. If you will be at a party where hors d'oeuvres will be served, eat before you arrive.
5. Carry an MWLC snack or bar with you at all times (as a back-up).
6. When attending a party, wear clothing that is well fitting (as opposed to loose fitting – comfortable – stretchy).
7. Focus on the friends and/or family that you will be seeing (not the food). Spend time talking with each and every guest that you know at a party (this will leave little or no time to visit the snacks).
8. If dinner is served “buffet” style, use only one plate and fill it primarily with raw veggies, salad and fruit (foods on plan). Select a small plate if possible. See your plate - don't pile up or overlap food.
9. Do not eat anything that is served in gravy or sauce.
10. Avoid all food that has been “fried”.
11. Drink at least 64 ounces of water every day throughout the holidays.
Remember that you are making a choice…that you have made a commitment…that you have a plan, and that YOU WANT to be successful!