Updated: 8/2/18 The food and behavior choices of children are shaped by the eating environments that surround them, access to healthy and fresh food, and product marketing. Creating a healthy eating environment for children helps prevent childhood obesity and can leave a lasting positive impact into adulthood.
Here are some ways to promote a healthy eating environment for your kids:
1. Keep a variety of fresh fruits within reach of your children - this will encourage them to grab a healthy snack.
2. Inform children about nutrition and why it's important to eat healthy foods. Discuss the different food groups and what foods fit into each group.
3. Provide healthy beverages, such as water and fruit juice. Limit foods and drinks that contain added sugar.
4. If available, create a garden at home and grow fresh fruits and vegetables. Involving kids in gardening fresh vegetables will encourage them to eat them.
5. Cook meals at home where you have control over ingredients and portion sizes. Prepare plates in the kitchen before serving a meal and sit down to eat a family meal together when possible.
7. Pack lunches with your kids - if they are invested in what they will be eating, they are more likely to enjoy the food and not throw healthy items away.
Each of our clinic’s 30 free Pro-Teen programs – which include all medical set-up, lab work, 10-weeks of weight loss services and all nutritional supplements, and are valued more than $500 each – will be given away on a first-come, first-served basis from Sept. 1 to 30, 2016, using an online entry system at www.mwlcgiveaway.com. Applicants must complete a short entry form and describe in 100 words or less why they are interested in MWLC’s Pro-Teen weight-loss services.